Do You Qualify For Disability Benefits?
Struggling with a Disability? Let us help you.
You know you can’t work, but that alone won’t get you the Social Security disability benefits you need. To win disability benefits, you must fit within the legal definition of “disabled”. Our local, experienced disability attorneys understand the ins and outs of the system and have been winning cases in Grand Rapids for over 45 years.
We're happy to talk about your situation, free of charge. Best of all, you pay no fees unless you win disability benefits. If you live in Grand Rapids and want to know if you are eligible, fill out the form for a free consultation of your claim.
Need more information? Get the answers below.
Learn more about qualifying for Social Security Disability benefits in Grand Rapids. Click on a question below to get the answer.
What conditions qualify you for disability benefits?
- Chronic Pain
- Chronic Fatigue
- Heart Disease
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Bipolar Disorder
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Hepatitis C
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Spinal Injuries
- Lung Disease
- Osteoarthritis of the joints
- Lumbar and Cervical Spine disorders
- Lyme Tick Disease
- Connective Tissue Disease
- Auto-immune Disorder
How does the Social Security Administration determine if I'm disabled?
The Social Security Administration determines whether you're disabled by reviewing your medical and employer records. Often these records extend back a year or more, so it's important to start gathering documentation well ahead of any appeals or hearings. Because doctors don't always know what legally constitutes a disability, we make sure they describe and present your information in a way that makes sense to the Social Security Administration. At the Levine Benjamin Law Firm, we'll help you collect, organize and evaluate your records to maximize your chance of success.
If I win my case, how much money will I receive?
For Social Security Disability benefits, it all depends upon how much you have worked and earned in the past. For disabled widow’s or widower’s benefits, it depends upon how much the late husband or wife worked and earned. For disabled adult child benefits, it all depends upon how much the parent worked and earned.
For all types of SSI benefits, there is a base amount that an individual with no other income receives. Other income that an individual has reduces the amount of SSI which an individual can receive.
What are the biggest mistakes that get people denied for Social Security Disability benefits?
- Failing to Hire a Lawyer can be a costly mistake. The Social Security Administration rejects most initial claims, but eventually approves most of those represented by counsel.
- Waiting Too Long to File—Delays tend to lessen your chances of winning benefits.
- Application Errors—Your disability application should be filled out carefully and should include your recent work history, salary information, and other relevant details. Minor errors often lead to applications being rejected.
- Insufficient Proof—Be sure to visit your doctor regularly and maintain a record of the hospital visits and problems you encounter day to day. You should also keep track of all expenses related to your disability. These records will serve as proof to substantiate your claim.
- Starting Over—If your initial Disability claim is rejected, you should appeal the decision immediately. Many people make the mistake of filing a fresh application, which only causes delay.
How can I improve my chances of winning my Social Security disability claim?
First, be honest and thorough when reporting your condition to Social Security. People are sometimes embarrassed to report psychological difficulties or learning disabilities, even though both can be important factors in receiving benefits. A lawyer can also vastly improve your chances; Social Security's own numbers show that that people with legal counsel are much more likely to win benefits. Call our office. We'd be happy to talk.
If you've been denied Social Security Disability Benefits in Grand Rapids, don’t be discouraged! Contact the experienced Grand Rapids disability attorneys at the Levine Benjamin Law Firm today!
More people win disability benefits with legal help than when they try to win benefits on their own, so it's important to contact us today!