How to Start Your Workers’ Compensation Claim in Detroit

A job-related injury or illness stops you from working. You’re worried about paying medical bills and supporting yourself and your family after your income drops.

This is why workers’ compensation insurance exists.

You start your claim by immediately informing your employer. If your employer doesn’t put in the necessary forms to initiate your claim, you can submit the application yourself.

Hopefully you’ll soon start collecting benefits to cover health care and lost wages.

But the process can be complicated and the insurance company doesn’t put your interests first. You may need to work with an attorney to get all the benefits you deserve.

Since 1964, Levine Benjamin Law Firm has been proud to help families coping with health and financial worries in Detroit, Flint, Lansing, Grand Rapids and all across Michigan.

From applying to appealing, we help you every step of the way.

What would you like to do?

How You Qualify for Workers’ Comp

Workers’ comp covers most employees in Michigan from injuries that “arise out of and in the course of employment.”

Your illness or injury must have been caused by your job, but it doesn’t matter who was responsible. Even if you were partly at fault, workers’ compensation should provide benefits.

Some examples of work-related injuries include being injured on heavy equipment in your workplace or suffering repetitive stress injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome.

Injuries related to falls are among the most common. Falls affecting workers ages 45–54 cost $23 billion annually.

However, job-related injuries can strike employees of any age, in any industry, at any time.


You start your Michigan workers’ comp claim process by reporting your injury or illness to your employer.

How to Apply for Benefits

After a job-related injury or illness occurs, your first step is always to report it to your employer.

They should start your claim, but if your employer doesn’t file the claim for you, you can file Workers’ Comp form WC-117 directly with the Michigan Workers’ Compensation Agency.

That form asks for information about you and your employer and details about the injury or illness.

It’s important to be as accurate and complete as possible, as this form will provide the basis for the insurance company’s (or self-insured employer’s) initial determination.

If your employer or the insurance company disputes your claim, you can appeal the decision by filing Workers’ Comp form WC-104A.

This is a more detailed form that asks for information about you, your family, the work-related injury or illness, medical treatment you’ve received and whether there were any witnesses to the injury.

Keep in mind that the insurance company’s goal is to protect its own interests. Those interests are generally not the same as yours.

When you work with a knowledgeable, experienced workers’ comp attorney at Levine Benjamin, you have peace of mind knowing professionals are handling your claim.

If your injury or illness is expected to keep you from working for at least one year, we can also help you with the Social Security Disability application process.

We’ve helped more than 80,000 people win disability benefits.