What Doctor Can You See for a Workers’ Comp Case?

If you’re in injured on the job, you have a right to seek medical treatment. Simple enough, right?

But getting hurt on the job means filing a workers’ compensation claim. That can make things more complicated.

Having a workers’ comp claim affects what doctor you can see for treatment.

If you suffer a workplace injury in Michigan, make sure you understand how the system works.


In Michigan, you usually have to start out under workers’ comp with an approved doctor.

Your employer is likely to have the right to choose who you see.

According to the Michigan Workers’ Compensation Agency, your employer can choose your medical provider for the first 28 days of care after a reported workplace injury.

After 28 days, you’re allowed to change providers if you want.

But you have to follow procedures to do so, which includes notifying your employer about your decision. You also have to give your employer the name of the doctor you choose.

Even after 28 days, depending on your workers’ comp plan, you might still have to work with a different doctor than your first choice if they are not approved by the plan.

This is similar to seeing doctors in your health insurance plan. If your doctor isn’t approved by workers’ comp, he or she might not be able to bill the plan for payment.


Broadly speaking, your hurt-on-the-job benefits depend on factors such as the state where you live and the size of your employer.

Michigan law provides some of the most comprehensive coverage in the nation.

Most other states waive the requirement that employers must carry workers’ comp coverage if they only have a few employees, or if they fit other exemptions.

Michigan doesn’t provide a waiver for any employer, which means almost any full-time employee should be covered.

Benefits don’t kick in automatically when you suffer and injury, though.

First, you have to report the injury to your employer and complete a workers’ comp form WC-117.

Many people wait until pain or symptoms become an issue before they report an on-the-job injury, and that can hinder your case.


Anyone can suffer a workplace injury.

If you’re injured in an accident that occurs at work or while you’re performing a work function, you should report it and file a workers’ comp claim immediately.

Even if you think your injuries are minor, getting a claim on file can help you later.

Most people assume the first step of seeing a doctor is fast and easy. Surely, your employer wants you to see a medical provider and get well so you can return to work.

That might be the case, but it’s also true that many claims are denied on the first try.

If you face that situation, you should not give up. Instead, contact a workers’ comp attorney to get help seeking compensation for medical care, prescriptions or lost wages.

Your lawyer works for you, not for an insurance company or your employer.

You want what is best for you and your family. You’re dealing with stress, frustration and even pain.

We take on the burden of legal issues regarding your case so you can concentrate on recovery.


Category: Workers' Comp
Skip to content