Detroit Workers’ Compensation Benefits for Government Employees

You’re a dedicated employee of a government agency and take pride in serving the public. But what happens if you’re hurt on the job and can no longer work?

Whether you work for a local, state or federal agency, you could receive medical care and checks to cover lost wages after an on-the-job injury.

These benefits usually come from workers’ compensation, which is a type of insurance many employers are required to carry.

If you work for a government entity, your workers’ comp plan could be administered by the agency that employs you. But sometimes, in the interest of saving money, these plans don’t help you.

An experienced workers’ comp attorney from Levine Benjamin Law Firm can get you through this process.

Levine Benjamin Law Firm has been helping people with health problems and financial worries in Detroit, Flint, Lansing, Grand Rapids and all across Michigan since 1964.

From applying to appealing, we help you every step of the way.

What would you like to do?

Federal Government Workers’ Compensation Plans

People who work for the federal government could be covered under one of several plans.

Civilian workers might be able to seek benefits from a plan administered under the Office of Workers’ Compensation Plan (OWCP), which is part of the U.S. Department of Labor.

The OWCP administers four major programs to cover losses a federal employee experiences in the course of his or her job.

Benefits include payments for medical treatments, wage replacement and vocational rehabilitation to help injured employees return to working. Just be careful with vocational rehabilitation, because it can rush you back to work before you’re ready.

Some specific federal government programs are available for those in certain niches. The Division of Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation, for example, oversees a program under the Defense Base Act covering people injured while working for government contractors or subcontractors overseas.

Detroit workers’ compensation benefits for government employees: If you’re a federal employee, you could be covered under one of several plans.

If you’re a federal employee, you have workers’ comp coverage from one of several plans.

Local and State Government Workers’ Compensation Plans

If you work for a state or local government, your plan will likely be different from that of federal employees.

State employees seeking hurt-on-the-job benefits might file with a traditional workers’ compensation insurance provider chosen by their state agency.

In some cases, the state itself might have its own division that oversees such claims. The same is true at the local level.

Detroit workers’ compensation benefits for government employees: If you’re a local or state employee, you could have coverage through a company or government plan.

If you’re a local or state government employee, you could have workers’ comp coverage through a private or government plan.

Why Work with a Workers’ Comp Attorney?

Getting full coverage for a workers’ comp claim can be a difficult and tedious process whether you work for the government or a private company.

You might face a lot of paperwork. Agencies that administer such plans often try to avoid paying out any more than the bare minimum.

Government employees can face even more bureaucratic hassles when seeking injured worker benefits.

First, you have to figure out what program or agency covers you.

You might have to complete a Workers’ Comp Form WC-117 or other complex paperwork, to start your claim.

Without the right assistance, your case could drag on for weeks or months. You may not receive the full benefits available to you.

That leaves you unable to handle medical bills and recover financially after a large drop in wages.

Don’t stop fighting for benefits simply because your first claim is denied. Speak to a workers’ comp lawyer about your options.

At Levine Benjamin, we evaluate your case for FREE. We don’t charge a fee until you win.

Skip to content